Friday, July 4, 2008

A Flea Market and a Dream

Well, not really, but this past Saturday was our community center's semi-annual flea market! I signed up to have a table to cleanse the house of some of the stuff we have accumulated!
Well...just because I have nothing better to do...the night before the flea market I decided to make a bunch of really simple necklaces out of the lovely little gems I can't help myself from collecting. Of course, sand glass. I figured, what the heck, there will be a lot of traffic going through - great venue to see if there is a market out there or not AND it's either gonna sell and then I know I should do more, or...it's NOT...so out came the dremel tool along with my husband's micro tools that I've permanently borrowed and the creative flow took over the kitchen table!
I laid out some of the glass that was stashed in jars and bowls all over the house.
Picked out the nicer pieces I felt looked right...and
ended up making 11 necklaces.
I set them on their own little table, off to the side and as far away from my flea market table as I could. I placed a book about sea glass and later a full jar of sea glass as an eye catcher in case someone wanted to admire it.
I didn't have many takers at first - by the way, the actual pieces I used have been rubbed with oil to show off their natural beauty ...but by the end of the day
6 of the 11 necklaces were sold!! EVEN though it was ninety thousand degrees out that day and the foot traffic was quite low as a result!
Truthfully...the jewelry thing was not ever what I had in mind to do with my precious treasures, I had a whole 'nother idea...but I made back everthing I invested and doubled it actually! The wheels are turning and turning, let me tell you!
I have not had half a breath to do more...but I can't wait! It was so much fun and a great use of creative energy for me!!

1 comment:

~Jill~ said...

Sheila beautiful idea!! I love those necklaces :)